A Virtual Private Server (VPS) is a cost-effective solution that offers incredible flexibility, scalability and security when compared to other server solutions.
Take a look at the VPS FAQs below. If you don't find your question answered here, please let us know.
- What is a VPS?
Virtual Private Server technology enables one physical server to house several Virtual Environments which behave exactly like isolated stand-alone servers. The physical server is also known as a node.
- What can I do on my VPS?
You can install any applications that you wish to, configure web sites or use the server for whatever purpose you may need. With VPS technology, you can give server access to team members who need to have it.
- What kinds of sites can I host on my VPS?
Your VPS must be in compliance with the laws in the United States. Please read our Terms of Service for more information.
- Do you offer a control panel?
Yes a control panel is available as an additional option. You may install any control panel system that works with CentOS 6 or CentOS 5. As a DirectAdmin Partner we are able to provide you with discounted DirectAdmin license for your VPS. Our monthly fee not only includes the software but the management and support of the control panel. Please review our VPS plans overview and additional options.
- Do you allow IRC or HTTP proxy traffic?
No. We do not allow IRC or HTTP proxy services on our network.
- Is my VPS secure and protected?
Yes. Our infrastructure is secured from virtual and physical attacks. We have an advanced firewall configuration, threat protection from Denial of Service (DDOS) attacks and other intrusion attempts. Customers are monitored at the operating system level, monitoring log files and any unusual activity on the server. Our network and server node configuration secure each VPS from other network traffic. Physical access to our data centers is by two forms of authentication. Each cabinet is secured by combination lock. Video monitoring is performed by the data center.
- Will other VPS customers be able to crash the node or our VPS instance?
No. We use advanced virtualization technology to isolate one VPS from another. Anything that occurs on one VPS cannot affect the other VPSes on the server, ensuring that your web site will not be affected by what other people do and will have maximum uptime.
- What VPS technology are you using?
Our VPS technology is based upon Xen. We performed exhaustive research and testing of the other VPS technologies (Virtuozzo, OpenVZ, VMWare, qemu, KVM) and determined that Xen offers the best balance of performance, reliability, flexibility and security.
- How is Xen different than Virtuozzo?
Virtuozzo virtualizes at the application level, while Xen modifies the operating system kernel to run as a VPS. Xen allows for much more flexibility including:
- Memory cannot be oversold. The amount of memory on the hardware must equal the amount of memory divided for all VPSes on the node.
- Each VPS can have its own kernel and kernel customizations.
- Each VPS run a different kernel version (i.e. one kernel can run 2.4 while another can run 2.6)
- Xen also supports hardware assisted virtualization, which allows to run unmodified operating systems like Microsoft Windows as a VPS instance.
- What is the hardware specification for a VPS node?
The typical specification is as follows:
- 2 Intel Xeon 2.33GHz Clovertown Processors (8 CPU cores per node)
- Minimum 16 GB ECC registered RAM
- 8 x 250GB SATA2 hard drives with a total of 1TB node capacity
- Hardware RAID 10 - battery backup with read/write caching
- Redundant Power - 2 Hot Swap power supplies on separate circuit breakers
- What operating systems do you offer?
We currently offer:
- CentOS 6 (Red Hat Enterprise 6)
- CentOS 5 (Red Hat Enterprise 5)
If you have a request for a specific operating system, please contact us.
- What is the difference between shared hosting and VPS hosting?
With shared hosting, each customer is in a community sandbox. If one customer gets hacked or uses too much of the server's resources (i.e. CPU cycles), it can affect your quality of service (QOS).
Our VPSes are designed to behave similar to a dedicated server. It is very secure, and in almost all cases, another VPS cannot affect other VPSes on the node.
- When should a dedicated server be used instead of a VPS?
A VPS is a very flexible and cost-effective solution, but it does not replace a dedicated server in every circumstance. We recommend using a dedicated server in the following instances:
- Heavy disk IO (i.e. SQL database)
- Heavy CPU processing (i.e. a PHP based web site that receives a large amount of visitors)
If you begin with a VPS, you can easily scale up to a dedicated server with little effort. We offer both VPSes and dedicated servers for complex web sites. If you're unsure if a VPS is right for you, please contact us and we will help you to make the right decision.
- Do you host DNS or register domains?
Yes, but currently only available with the DirectAdmin Control panel. We have a robust and distributed DNS system available free of charge. We can also register your domain names for a nominal fee.
- How long does it take to set up my VPS?
We manually verify every order to prevent fraud, however we guarantee you will wait no more than 24 hours. Typical creation time is usually no more than a few hours.
- Do you support Ruby on Rails?
Yes. Our VPSes can be configured as Rails development stacks, database servers and web servers. In addition, Apache, Lighttpd and Mongrel are all available as pre-installed appliances.
- What programming languages do you support?
Python, PHP, Ruby, Java, Perl, C and C++. We are experts in open source application development. We have many years of experience working with these languages and know how to make them run efficiently. Contact us for pre-installed VPS solutions.
- What is managed with your VPSes?
To put it simply, everything is managed. All system administration is handled by us. All fully managed VPSes include:
- Backups - 30 day rotation, off server with monthly off site backup
- Auto Patch Management - Installed software is configured to best practices and updated automatically
- 24 Hour Proactive Monitoring - Over 30 points per VPS instance is monitored. From disk space, to if a service is running
- Auto Service restart - If a service fails it is restarted automatically
- Hardware Management - All hardware is monitored and managed by us
- Network Management - Network level performance is monitored, with a private network for secure communications
- Server Hardening - Unneeded services are removed with best practices security monitoring. We have a network and local server firewall per VPS instance.
For more info, visit the What You Get section.
- What programs will come pre-installed with a Managed VPS?
The programs pre-installed with your VPS depend on the plan that you have selected.
If you choose to add DirectAdmin to your VPS, it will include Apache, ProFTPd, and all other common services found on DirectAdmin servers. If you do not choose to use DirectAdmin, we provide a base CentOS install. A base VPS appliance will at least have this software installed:
- CentOS (RedHat) 6 or 5 (64 bit version)
We can also install Apache+SSL (web server), ProFTPd and many other services. We understand that every client is unique and we will work with you to meet your exact requirements.
- What VPS appliances are available?
- Can you reinstall my software so I can start over?
Yes. We can preform a "virgin" installation. There is no fee for the first request and a nominal fee for additional requests.
- Is my VPS backed up?
Yes. The entire file system and databases are backed up daily. We follow a 30-day backup rotation schedule. The backup is stored off server within the data center. In addition, a monthly full backup is stored off site. Our backups are for hardware or software failures. Even though we monitor our backup process, we recommend customers do not rely on our backups and still perform backups of their data. Customer requested restores are available for a small fee.
- Is root (super user) access available?
Root access is available for no additional fee. With root access you will have access to the entire VPS. Keep in mind many applications and files are already managed by us, and cannot be modified. Typically 'root' access is only needed for:
- custom services that need to be installed and currently not offered by our service
- additional support libraries for development
- customizations to configuration files
- manual restart of services (to refresh configuration changes)
For those who do not feel comfortable with 'root' access, additional support is available for these services. Please contact sales with your requirements.
- Can I install other programs or libraries of my choice?
Yes. You may install any application or libraries of your choice. If we aren't managing it, you have the freedom to add software you choose.
Service, Support and Billing
- Can I contact support 24/7?
Yes. We are available 24/7, 365 days a year. To open a new ticket, please visit: http://www.supportem.com/
- Can I upgrade or downgrade my plan?
Yes at any time. Contact billing at:
- How long does it take to upgrade/downgrade?
Typically downtime is under 10 minutes. Upgrades/downgrades can be performed at any time during the day that you request.
- Do you offer discounts for prepayment?
Yes. We offer a 10% discount for six months prepayment and a 15% discount for twelve months prepayment.
Have an additional question you don't see listed? Drop us a line.